Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

<snip/>

>HSQL should be considered a library used by the cocoon 'samples' and the
>files should be removed from /WEB-INF/ since it seems that Cocoon makes
>use of HSQL internally (which is NOT and will never be the case!)

... and if you use a clustered server, you're likely to use some more
heavyweight database ;

>For logging, I think that Cocoon should not attempt to provide
>centralization of logging, it's not its concern.
>This is why I'd like to have the ability to log into the servlet
>container directly: if they provide transparent clustering they will
>very likely provide transparent log centralization (probably
>asynchronously for better system performance).

There's the ServletTargetFactory that logs to the servlet container. It
is declared in logkit.xconf and was used up to recently to log all
errors to the engine's log.

About clustering, we have a component that I think won't work in
clustered environment : the FragmentExtractor/Generator. It grabs on the
fly parts of a document and keeps them in memory for servicing by
requests that follow the current one. In a clustered environment, it is
very likely that those requests are served by another computer in the
cluster, and thus the extracted fragments won't be found.

As solution could be to store these fragments in the servlet session :
clustered engines either use a single computer for a session or
communicate session data between computers.

<snip/>

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez