Pierre-Alexandre Losson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using Cocoon 2 for a while not and I was wondering if any of
> you could give a quick overview on how Cocoon tightly cocoon is coupled
> with a web environment and where these couplings occur.
>
> I am developping a code generation application using XML/XSL and I was
> investigating how Cocoon could be used as the transformation pipeline
> but I wanted to know how and if I could use it outside a web
> environment? And if so, what are the fundamental things that should be
> adapted or maybe even added ?

Cocoon has an o.a.cocoon.Environment package to act as an abstraction of
the underlying environment.

o.a.cocoon.Main is our commandline starter, that sets up the comandline
environment, creates Cocoon.java, initializes it and starts crawling by
calling the process() method on Cocoon..

Cocoon itself is the core of Cocoon, and can be used as you say.

But since to set up Cocoon correctly you have to perform some steps that
are not so easy to remember, very recently we have been thinking of
creating a CocoonBean.java that would make the embedded usage in Cocoon
easier.

Basially what you need is this Bean; you can do it quite easily from
Main.java, and it would be well accepted as a contribution to Cocoon :-D
<hint hint - nudge nudge> ;-)

If you have /any/ question regarding this, feel free to ask :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -