Tomcat looks into all WEB-INF/lib directorys and into $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed.
To work properly you must have xerces, xml-apis, xalan and xslt in common/endorsed.
Probably this one are old ones and in latest cocoon you have new one.

But be careful with throwing away your old ones: xml-form doesn't work
with the new xerces. Error was reported and is reproducable. With old libs it is
working.

Michael