on 6/17/03 11:41 AM Reinhard Pötz wrote:

> Today I tried to find out how sessions and flow work together:
>
> 1. If my tests are correct the global scope of a flow only
>    lives as long as the session which the flow is tied to is
>    active.
>
>    So if the session expires or you use another client to
>    continue a 'waiting' function you only have access to the
>    local scope within the flow function.

This is correct (AFAIK)

> 2. All scripts within a <map:script>...></> part share the
>    same global context. If you want to share more objects
>    you need another scope (request, session, context).

Again, it is correct (AFAIK)

> Is this description correct?

yes.

> If yes is this the intended behaviour?

well, the "intended behaviour" has never been defined.

> From a technical point of view, are there any other possiblities
> of implementing the JavaScript global scope.

I assume this is a question. The request is obviously not good at this
and the servlet context is way too broad. Any other mechanism would be a
data container associated in some way to the state of the webapp
execution and this is exactly what a session is.

> If so has there ever been a community decision (vote) which of
> these possibilities is best?

no, community decisions were never done during flow implementation
because it was considered a proof of concept and we agreed to do
polishing and redesign only after the concept had been proved. This is
exactly what we are doing right now.

> I'm only asking because I'm curious - no offense to anybody!

Well, thanks for asking, the more questions like these, the better.

If anybody else has something to add, please go ahead.

--
Stefano.