On 27 Jun 2003 at 11:22, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> David Crossley wrote:
> > > - I think we should remove all
> > > the doc handling from cocoon. By this I mean the subsitemap we
> > > currently have that generates the docs on the fly in the built
> > > webapp. I hope to move this to forrest as well.
> >
> > I agree. However, what do you mean by "move this to forrest"?
> > Do you mean that Cocoon will do its samples, and the on-the-fly
> > documentation is somehow handled by a "forrest webapp"? Or do you
> > mean get rid of on-the-fly documentation altogether?
> >
> > I hope for the former, because many samples link straight to the
> > documentation.
> >
> Yeah, of course the former. I have posted a RT for this to the forrest
> list, so let's see what comes out of it.

At present we have a separate webapp for generating docs from the samples
webapp. My guess as to why this is is because, up until now, it has not been possible
for the CLI to strip off the first directory name from a URI. So, if you have the
Cocoon
URI documents/index.html, it will be saved as documents/index.html. You cannot
change the folder into which it is written. Therefore, to get rid of the 'documents'
folder, you need a separate webapp that mounts the docs to the root, i.e. /index.html.

The new CLI and its Targets allow you to get around this by specifying a uri-prefix
and source uri, e.g. src-prefix="documents/" and src="index.html". That way the src-
prefix is ignored when deciding where to write the file. With a (for example)
dest="cocoon-docs", you can choose precisely where the docs should be written.

However, Forrest doesn't yet use the xconf functionality in the CLI, so won't be able
do this yet.

I hope I'm making sense and that I'm not completely off-beam.

Regards, Upayavira