At 12:21 PM +0200 11/7/01, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>> > Doing a 'grep -r sendRedirect * | wc -l' on the above app I get 104.
>> > Does this mean I have to write 104 actions? Or is it possible to write a
>> > generic redirect action
>>
>>         If they are all totally different sendRedirect tests, used only once
>>         in individual xsp pages, you may need to write a comprehensive
>>set of
>>         actions. But I expect in reality it will be a lot less than 104.
>>         (without seeing your application. :-) )
>
>Perhaps 80 or so. I think in its current state Cocoon2 ties me up too
>much, I want more freedom :-)

This reminds me of something I brought up in the dev list a while ago,
compiling Cocoon 2 Actions from XSP TagLibs.

XSP Actions would not output anything, you'd just use them to control
stuff. (Like Redirects ;)

In two projects I've worked on, Crudlet and FP TagLibs, it would make sense
to do stuff like validating, writing (to Bean or XML) in an Action, while
reserving output functions to XML or XSP Generators; controlled by the
SiteMap.

Unlike the Cocoon 1 approach which is to join them together.

I often have found myself in a situation with Cocoon 1 of being forced to
have the form hander from the previous page and the form generator for the
makes more sense to me), a URL along with runtime information selects a
pipeline to do those separate jobs, moving control from XSP to the SiteMap.

Being able to make Actions using XSP TagLibs allows existing XSP languages
a route into the 'ideal' way of working with Cocoon 2, where they have
developed out of the usage patterns in Cocoon 1.

If the same TagLib languages could be used in both 'realms', Actions and
XSP; it would be easy to author TagLib languages that allowed Actions and
Generators to communicate.

Also it could allow a wider range of people to develop Actions and make it
easier to maintain a larger number of them.

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
    <phone:+44.[0].20.7737.6831>        <pager:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>