My point is don't loose out and just become an interesting
"experimental academic project."

There is HUGH INTEREST by the software industry in this
type of architecture.  There are undoubted many commercial
firms working on comparable frameworks. Sales of such
XML framework technology will probably exceed $1B by 2005.

I was driven away from TOMCAT last year because of it lack
of "production worthiness'."  It looks like it is more mature
now, and I may return.  It's sure costly to change back and
fourth.

I wish some financial business model could be integrated into this
type of open-source project.  Say maybe free for all development
work and $1000/cpu for production use.  Any commercial company
would not heisted to pony up $1K for a bit more stability and
support.

There is really a need in the market for something in-between the
very low cost open source and the $10K and up variety of full
commercial software.

Hell, the UC campuses have gone from free tuition to big bucks "fees"
(i.e. still supposedly free tuition) over the last few decades.

PS:
    I'm on 1.8.2++  See http://candlelightsoftware.com/cocoon.html
    for the "++".

PSS:
    I love the Cocoon Framework!  :-)

PSSS:
    I showed an ASP instance of Cocoon at a Hotel trade
    show in June, and the technology was a real hit!!

Steven P. Punte
Candlelight Software
By Candlelight If Necessary!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:54:02 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  I would like to point out that the cocoon team has done a good job of
>  balancing feature requests with development release time. If what you
need
>  is stable and mature software perhaps you'd like to consider using Cocoon
>  1.X series and see if it does what you need (which is what I did) while
>  features are completed and the code matures enough to meet your
>  requirements.
>
>  Or, more bluntly, use commercial software if it gives you the more stable
>  and usable system that you're looking for.
>
>  Once upon a time, "Steven Punte" was seen writting:
>
>  > I too agree with Roys' statements.  Stable software is
>  > everything.  Otherwise Cocoon will just take it's
>  > place as some interesting R&D project in the Software
>  > Halls of History while another project, another firm,
>  > deliveres a stable usable system to market that
>  > becomes the standard.
>  >
>  >   Steve Punte

>  For additional commands, e-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/