I am using Xalan with XML Spy by this command line:
java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -IN %1 -XSL %3 -OUT %2
and it works fine. (Xerces and Xalan must be in your classpath or -cp option
must be used).
Where:
     %1 - XML file to be transformed
    %3 - XSL stylesheet (this is not necessary if you have <?xml-stylesheet
...?> directive in your XML)
    %2 - output

Maybe Cocoon can be used like this to process a command line request? What
are the command-line options of Cocoon? I've never used them.