There are many tools to help. Start at
The XML Cover Pages www.oasis-open.org/cover/
and follow your nose ...

However, here are some tips ...
* beware, there are many bodgy tools which do horrid shortcuts
* do not try to get one tool to do-it-all (you may need a
different one for XML editing and another for XSL development)
* make sure that your tools are capable of entity resolution
* use a validating parser to check all documents before you
try them with Cocoon
* heed Ulrich's "Rant" thread in June regarding using an
infamous web browser to view documents, thinking that you are
validating your XML document - it is broken

hope that helps, David