Why don't you just use this XSL without saving to disk:
   <!-- generates XSL -->
   <map:match pattern="xsl-source">
    <map:generate src="stylesheets/simple-page2html.xsl"/>
    <map:serialize type="xml"/>
   </map:match>
   <!-- uses generated XSL -->
   <map:match pattern="xsl-cocoon">
    <map:generate src="docs/hello-page.xml"/>
    <map:transform src="cocoon:/xsl-source"/>
    <map:serialize/>
   </map:match>

Vadim