Hello Judith,
In the latest developer snapshot, Konstantin introduced a new format for
the dictionary files. They now look as follows:

<catalogue xml:lang="en">
    <message key="some key">Translated Text</message>
</catalogue>

The declaration of the transformer changed as follows:

<map:transformer     name="i18n"
src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.I18nTransformer">
    <catalogue-name>name of your dictionary files (e.g.
messages)</catalogue-name>
    <catalogue-location>name of a cocoon sub directory, where your
dictionary files reside (e.g. dictionary)</catalogue-location>
</map:transformer>

The default language and available languages are implicitly taken from
the existing dictionary files. For me, messages.xml contains the default
language translation, messages_de contains the German translation and
messages_en contains the English texts.

The latest snapshot works for me, if I use the above format. There is
also a stylesheet convert.xsl in the latest distribution. This can be
used to convert your dictionary files from the old to the new format.

Hope this helps,
Mario