All,

I have been trying to determine the purpose of XSP. I
understand that the purpose of Cocoon is to provide a
better way to separate content, logic, and
presentation via XSL. However, the examples I have
seen using XSP reveal that the content, logic, and
presentation have not been separated but remain
coupled together as they do in JSP.

However, today I had a revelation! XSPs should not
contain any presentation at all. They should only be
used to transform content, specifically dynamic
content.

For example, suppose I want to present a list of
products to a buyer. In JSP I would write a scriplet
or tag that would transform the content for
presentation to the buyer. I would then embed the
scriplet or tag into a JSP page, which represented the
presentation of the page. The problem here is that the
scriplet or tag contains presentation logic that can
not be separated out. For instance, if I used an HTML
table the scriplet or tag might contain row and column
tags or could produce the entire table.

In Cocoon the step of embedding the logic (scriplet or
tag) used to transform the content is not required.
The XSP would simply transform the content into more
content that would later be transformed into
presentation via XSLT.

Forgive me for being Captain Obvious here but it this
the intent of XSP?

Samer

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/