Right now Cocoon takes (possibly malformed?) html, and runs it through a
program to tidy up the html before shooting it to the browser.

I would like to do something like the opposite of that.  I believe my
code already generates valid xhtml, and don't need to take the extra
processing time to have it cleaned up.  Presumably I can do this by
using the xml serializer, but changing the output type to html?

But I would like to go further than this and have a transformer which
checks my xhtml against a dtd, and give me an error if it is
nonconformant.  (I'd use the transformer only during development).

Has anyone ever tried this?

Steve