Never mind, I a couple of emails from cocoon-dev which answer my
questions:

> - How much faster (roughly) is xsltc?
"People keep discussing benchmarks for various XSLT interpreters, trying
to make the best choice. I think we've already agreed that nothing beats
XSLTC .. that is when it works."
> - A google search on XSLTC and Cocoon turns up a 4/9/02
> message from Stefano that he's "closer" to getting xsltc
> working with cocoon.  Does xsltc work with cocoon?
> - Any tips on getting them to work together?

There are still outstanding bugs which keep xsltc from working with
cocoon--but they are being worked on....

--Steve