It think that when your webapp is under webapps/cocoon, the cookie-Path is
alway /cocoon.
If you don't want that, then you could run your webapp as webapps/ROOT (your
cookie-path will be /).

For me that's no enought. I modify the JSESSIONID-cookie (and the path) in
the following way:

I've the following in my WEB-INF/web.xml-File

  <filter>
    <filter-name>RequestWrapper</filter-name>
    <filter-class>com.triplemind.asp.server.RequestWrapper</filter-class>
  </filter>
  <filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>RequestWrapper</filter-name>
    <servlet-name>Cocoon2</servlet-name>
  </filter-mapping>

so that every request to cocoon goes through my RequestWrapper-Class.
In my RequestWrapper I can change the cookies.

public class RequestWrapper implements Filter {
   public void doFilter(ServletRequest request,
                        ServletResponse response, FilterChain chain) {
     if(request instanceof HttpServletRequest && response instanceof
HttpServletResponse) {
        response = new MyHttpResponseWrapper(response);
     }
     chain.doFilter(request, response);
   }
 }

public class MyHttpResponseWrapper extends HttpServletResponseWrapper {
  public void addCookie(Cookie cookie) {
    if(cookie.getName().equals("JSESSIONID")) {
      cookie.setPath("/whereever-you-want/dir/");
      cookie.setDomain("mydomain.com");
      // you can also set expiry, etc...
    }
    super.addCookie(cookie);