I'm also looking at doing exactly the same thing - my first guess was to
write a Generator to take the response from the servlet (perhaps similar
to ServletGenerator? - I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.).

I have just about no experience of either Tomcat or Cocoon, so any
help/thoughts would be much appreciated!

Richard