There is no quick easy binary download like what you're looking for.
However, if you build from source (not difficult at all) you can get closer
to what you want.  Check out the build targets (use "build -projecthelp") -
there are some that give you less than the whole ball of wax.
Unfortunately, the current procedure is to remove any unwanted jars from
lib/optional.  Doing this signals the build process to skip those when
putting together cocoon.xconf and sitemap.xmap.  Unfortunately, there is no
current build to automatically get rid of examples.  There is work being
done on "refactoring" the examples - which really means they are
reorganizing them so that they are all under an examples sub-sitemap which
will make it feasible to build without them.  Currently, our procedure is:

- remove optional jars that we don't use (which is most of them)
- build the local-webapp target (not sure that's exact)
- delete all examples directories
- add anything we need to cocoon.xconf (currently datasource definition and
custom components)
- clean out the sitemap by hand and put our own stuff in
- war the files up and deploy them

Not very pretty but that's the current state of affairs.

Geoff Howard