That's absoluty clear - may I have to pose the question more correctly:
Is there a difference in performance - your solution compared to a working
"exclude-result-prefixes"-attribute?

> > - Is there a special reason why "exclude-result-prefixes"
> >   doesn't work or is it a bug?
>
> Are you using it correctly?
> For example, if you know your XSLT will *only* process either XSD or
> XHTML documents, you can do the same with
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
>    xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
>    xmlns:xht="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
>    exclude-result-prefixes="xs xht">
>   <xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/>
> <xsl:template match="*|@*">
>   <xsl:copy>
>     <xsl:apply-templates/>
>   </xsl:copy>
> </xsl:template>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>
> Note that you have to declare ALL the namespaces you wish to filter out
> by associate them with a namespace prefix(duh); then put a space
> separated list of ALL prefixes as the value of the
> exclude-result-prefixes attribute.
> The only case this doesn't work is when you don't know the namespaces
> you may encounter.

Did you try it with Cocoon? If yes, which version do you use?

My stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet
        version="1.0"
   xmlns:f="http://www.poetz.cc/forms";