oh, I am sorry, I made another mistake, you can't use the cocoon
protocol (or any) within the href. You have to do it as follows:

<xi:include
href="/action/categories_combo.xml#xpointer(/xformcategories/*)"
xml:base="cocoon:"/>

or for instance:

<xi:include xml:base="http://www.cmswatch.com"; href="/RSS/cmswatch.xml"/>

I mixed that up because I am currently using my own XInclude Processor,
where I can use the protocol within the href.
In the case of the Cocoon version you have to use xml:base.
If you do not use it, then it will always assume that you are looking
for a file.
I never checked if that is because the W3C recommendation is saying that
or for whatever reason.

All the best

Michael