> From: Dan Jones [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> Hi
>
> I'm a total newbie with cocoon and am getting this error when I try to
access
> http://localhost/cocoon (I've set up Tomcat so I don't need to use the
:8080),
> using cocoon 2 and Tomcat 4.03 with JDK1.4, under Windows 2000
professional.

> I've installed it on another machine using the same OS, servlet engine
and
> cocoon
> version, but with JDK1.3.0 and I'm presented with the cocoon homepage
when I
> enter the previous URL.
>
> Here is the error message I'm receiving. Is there a quick fix for
this? Didn't
> seem to be any mention of it in the FAQ.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Dan
>
> type fatal
>
> message Language Exception
>
> description org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException:
>
> Language Exception:
> org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException:
> Error compiling sitemap_xmap:
> Line 0, column 0: could not parse error message:
> error: Invalid class file format in
> G:\JDK1.4\jre\lib\rt.jar(java/io/OutputStream.class).
> The major.minor version '48.0' is too recent for this tool to
understand.

Quick fix: either upgrade compiler to version 1.4, or use rt.jar from
the JDK of the compiler.

Explanation: you can't use JDK1.4 libraries (rt.jar) with older compiler
(say, 1.3). Compiler resides in WEB-INF, and its name is javac.jar. When
in JDK, this is lib/tools.jar file. JDK and compiler must match (unless
you are using alternate compiler - pizza - default in latest cocoon
releases)

Vadim