I've been looking into the aggregation techniques and
there seems to be two ways people go about doing it.
I'm trying to understand the pros/cons of the two
approaches.

Approach 1: Aggregate HTML
Each map:part calls a pipeline, which generates,
transforms and serializes to HTML, e.g.,
<map:generate src="header.xml"/>
<map:transform src="header2html.xsl"/>
<map:serialize/>

Approach 2: Aggregate XML
Each map:part calls a pipeline, which generates and
serializes to XML, e.g.,
<map:generate src="header.xml"/>
<map:serialize type="xml"/>

Any ideas?