I see. So the <map:parameter> element, notwithstanding it is inside the
<map:act type="resource-exists"> element, is actually still inside the
<map:act type="request"> element's scope. From your comment, I suppose I
should have known this because it follows the XSLT specification.

Thanks again! That is very helpful to know.

Matthew