By default org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.J2eeDataSource looks for your J2EE
datasource in the java:/comp/env/jdbc context. You can change this using the
lookup-name parameter:
<j2ee logger="core.datasources.j2ee.firebird" name="FirebirdDS">
<lookup-name>java:/FirebirdDS</lookup-name>
</j2ee>
I'm not that familiar with Tomcat or it's config files, but you need to store your
J2EE datasource in JNDI to access it from this component.