I am running Tomcat 3.3 on Win2k, and a recent snapshot of Cocoon
from the HEAD of CVS. I am periodically having the same problems
whereby Tomcat  is running out of memory when either Tomcat or
Cocoon are reloading some stuff.
Is it possible that some cache collections are not being cleared?

Also, given that I'm having a similar problem with Tomcat 3.3, is
Cocoon a more plausible suspect?

On another note, every once in a while upon auto-reloading some of
the updated components either Tomcat or Cocoon hang up, and stop
responding to requests. CPU usage spikes at first, but then goes down.
Seems like a dead-lock. However, I have saved the full VM thread
dump, and cannot see anything unusual there that would indicate a
deadlock of any sort. (BTW, If you are interested, I can post the thread
dump.) I can see from it that three Tomcat threads are waiting in
ServerSocket.accept() calls, but I cannot connect to any of the ports
that it is supposed to listen on either with the browser or with telnet.
Calling Tomcat's shutdown.bat does nothing to stop the hung up process.
Killing Tomcat's Java process is the only thing that helps.

Does anyone have any idea on this and the OutOfMemory issues?

Sorry for "cross-replying," but... what she said. :-)
--
Ilya