I think I may be doing something similar to what you want to do. I am calling cocoon
from an axis provider, and also directly from within an ejb. There are several things
you need to do to accomplish this: The first thing you should look at is the
commandline context under org.apache.cocoon.environment. That will give you some clues
on where to start with creating a non-servlet based cocoon application. I am also
using cocoon from within a servlet context, so I took the easy way out and created a
remote wrapper for cocoon to place in the JNDI naming context, but it still required
me to write a custom Environment, Request, Response, etc... for my application
context. You should be able to use the standard serializers and generators from
cocoon. The output from cocoon will be captured in the output stream in your
Environment class. The other option you have is to use the pipeline classes directly,
but then you lose the ability to configure the pipeline using the cocoon/avalon
framework. Hope that helps.