De: Bertrand Delacretaz [mailto:bdelacretaz@;codeconsult.ch]
Date: vendredi, 8. novembre 2002 08:30
À: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Thévoz Sylvain, IT-DCS-CPS-CLI-DAR
Objet: Re: How to develop a web application with Cocoon

Hi Sylvain,

> ...can I do all I want in my web application
> with Cocoon????....

Looks like there's not a rush to reply to this one...

Quite frankly I don't know the precise status of the current implementations
of forms handling and flow. These would help you a lot in filling the blanks
in your concept, so you might want to ask more specific questions about them
here.

Let me reply on what I know...

> 2) Search data: form to enter the query => select data in database =>
> display result

If you're reading directly from the database (but read below about this),
ESQL seems to be the most flexible option here, followed by XSLT
transforms for HTML or PDF generation.

I don't think you need a form handling module for this, you can start with a
(static or XSLT-generated) HTML form and use the request parameters to build
the SQL query.

> 4) Generate file: choose the file to generate (from a result or a form) =>
> select data in database => generate the file

What kind of file? XML? HTML? PDF? RTF?
In any case I think XSLT transforms followed by the appropriate serializers
will do the job. This is something that is definitely mature in Cocoon today
(with some limitations in PDF output and some more in RTF output).

The forms handling module might also be overkill here IMO if you're just
selecting 2-3 options on a form to trigger file generation.

*** OK,BUT - do you want a monolithic system? ***

So I don't have all the answers, but even if Cocoon allows you to build your
complete app today, I would by all means avoid creating a big monolithic
thing.

Cleanly separated application layers are a must in my book, with at least a
(stable and testable) backend to handle database transactions and a (more
subject to change and harder to test) frontend for the user interface.

It's great that Cocoon offers (or will soon offer) all components required to
build a complete webapp, but this might cause a tendency of using too much of
it at the same time.

IMHO the WebServicesProxyGenerator [1] is a great step towards cleanly
modularized applications, by allowing a clean separation of application
layers. It doesn't mean you won't use Cocoon for the backend as well, but if
you do you might be better off using *another instance* of Cocoon for the
backend, separate process, maybe separate server.

Of course modularizing usually means some loss of performance compared to
more tightly integrated systems. For most applications this is irrelevant I
think, or more precisely the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.

Hope this helps!
-Bertrand

[1] http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/generators/wsproxy-generator.html