I guess I was unclear in my first posting...currently, I produce an XML
document based on querying the database.  I create that file in the
cocoon/mount/html-pdf directory on my application server's filesystem
and then pass it to cocoon with the following sub-sitemap:

<map:sitemap xmlns:map="http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0";>

    <!-- use the standard components -->
    <map:components>
        <map:generators default="file"/>
        <map:transformers default="xslt"/>
        <map:readers default="resource"/>
        <map:serializers default="html"/>
        <map:selectors default="browser"/>
        <map:matchers default="wildcard"/>
        <map:transformers default="xslt"/>
    </map:components>

    <map:pipelines>
        <map:pipeline>
            <map:match pattern="*.pdf">
                <map:generate src="{1}.xml"/>
                <map:transform src="bol.xsl"/>
                <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
            </map:match>
        </map:pipeline>
    </map:pipelines>
</map:sitemap>

What I want to do is replace this mechanism with SAX events so I don't
have to create any files on the filesystem.

Thanks for your response!

Bob