Hello Sanne,

you have no influence how the output is serialized, but that's no problem in general. é is only another representation of the relating number reference. It should be serialized to é or é The advantage of a number reference is the independence on any DTD. So the number reference is to prefer I think - somebody can correct me here. If the encoding supports the character directly (like UTF-8) it's also allowed to write é directly (so not using any reference).

What exactly problem do you have with it? For general questions you can also read at http://www.unicode.org/.

Joerg

Sanne de Roever wrote:
Hi,
I've got an xml file with entities like é (declared in a dtd) and others.
If I output this file after an xsl identity transformation using the xml serializer cocoon gives me a decoded character like say î,
or a translation of the character like ᇗ
But I don't want that, I want it the way it came in: &eacute!
Does anybody how to accomplish this?
Sanne