You coulde try the caching version of the cinclude transformer in place of the
non-caching xinclude transformer.
See http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/transformers/cinclude-transformer.html
The only problem I see is that the cinclude transformer does not seem to have the
xpath features
that the xinclude transformer has.

Tim