i have a similar problem solved using child element and not attributes

<input>
        <value><i18n:text i18n:key="key_text">some text</i18n:text></value>
</input>

then i have 2 step transformation
first i18n transformation to replace i18n tags with the right content
secend xslt tranformation to generete the element i want with attributes

<input value="some i18n transformed text"/>

maybe this can help you

regards
Stavros