i use to build queries in in logic too , into a variable this code work
for me:

                <xsp:logic>

                        int lookup = 0;
                        String slookup = "";
                        String lookupstr = "";
                        String colfilter = "";

                        slookup = request.getParameter("lookup");
                        lookupstr = request.getParameter("lookupstr");

                        if (slookup != null){
                                lookup = Integer.parseInt(slookup);
                        }

                        if (lookup == 1) {
                                colfilter ="WHERE
instr(fname,'".concat(lookupstr).concat("')");

                        }
                </xsp:logic>

                                        <esql:query>select contact_id, fname, mname,
lname from contacts
                                        <xsp:expr>colfilter</xsp:expr>
                                        </esql:query>

hope can help