Thanks, I found and solved the XSPModuleHelper mixup earlier today.
I did not report it yet because I was fixing the the as="string" issue.

What is the as="string" option used for any way?  The only reason I
looked at it was the broken as="xml" option.  If it has an actual use,
that may help decide the output format.

You mention:
>BTW there have been more fixes to 2.0.4 so I strongly suggest to get a
>complete version from CVS.

I cannot use CVS because I have not found a way to get it through our firewall.
If I am not alone with this problem, is there any chance that downloadable
snapshots could made for the cocoon_2_0_3_branch like we already have for HEAD:
  http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/xml-cocoon2/

Tim