SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous dijo:

> Mark Horgan wrote:
>
>> Also, do others find working with Cocoon very frustrating? When you
>> make a change it takes forever for the web-app to reload and
>> re-compile the java class, espcially when it takes up so much memory.
>> Also even when using the logs its very hard to track down bugs in ones
>> code especially logicsheets. But generally I like Cocoon though I wish
>> it was more straight-forward to develop with it.
>>
>> Thx in advance,
>> Mark
>>

> Hy,
>
> When i started with cocoon i got really mad with hunting errors
> and understanding, how all this fits together. But after about
> three months of working with the beast, i built up some
> survival strategies. It is how I do it. It may help as a guide,
> but it does not claim to be the "best approach":
>
> 1.) Instead of restarting the whole container, i only restart
>      the cocoon app, when needed. This takes a few seconds with
>      tomcat 4.1.* (~300 MHz sparc dual processor, solaris 2.8)
> 2.) During development i use tomcat and i set the reloadable="true"
>      within the <Context/> of my webapp. By this any changes in the
> classpath causes an automatic webapp restart.
> 3.) use released versions if possible (cocoon-2.0.4 seems quite mature)
> 4.) Proceed in "baby steps" when changing things in your cocoon app 5.)
> follow KISS (keep it simple, stupid) i keep as much as possible
>      with the basics of cocoon and don't use (yet) the more fancy stuff.
> 6.) Separate your app into subsitemaps and subdirs with related issues
> 7.) use the cocoon-wiki
>      Especially the search function unhides
>      interesting docs
> 8.) I started using the "coocon developers handbook"
>      It's written from Lajos Moczar and some other active
>      cocoon developers...
>
> Here are two of my personal favorites. I have documented this in
> our company wiki:
>
> 9.) For XSLT processing i have added Saxon-6.5.2. It's not
>      straight forward to install, but sometimes it can be
>      utilised with less pain, than xalan (just a matter of taste)
>      Look into cocoon wiki for a quick description or look at
>      http://www.saxess.com/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Install
>      for a quickinstall step by step instruction.

9.01) I use jEdit.org to all my development in Cocoon. jEdit has a plugins
called XML and XSLT. The XML plugin helps writing XML stuff checking the
tags. The XSLT pluging helps to see the results of applying 1 or more
Stylesheets to a page. This is useful to check what are the stylesheets
doing.

<comment>
I think it will be fine to write a survival guide in wiki. :-)
</comment>

Antonio Gallardo