From: "Kirchhoff, Lars" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 5:09 AM
Subject: AW: XMLForms Versus Traditional HTML forms.

But why you need then cocoon for? If you just use traditional html
isn't cocoon a bit to much? i'm just curios? Wouldn't it then better
just use jsp or something similar?

The main advantage of cocoon and xmlform for me is still to create
a xml document, which then can be transformed through the pipeline
in nearly every possible format. This means creating applications or
websites, which can serve multiple devices.

Especially for xmlforms  there is a strong seperation of concerns,
which in the first moment and for small application is a bit to
much, but helps to divide the programming of the actual dataflow and
business logic from the presentation layer and keeps the code
manageable. I don't like to mix up any program code with tags from
either xml or html. That's why I use and tried xmlform and don't
feel comfortable with xsp.

Of course you can transform the xmlform tags to html form tags,
as long as there are not to many browser out, which are
understanding xforms, which are still in draft.

BTW does anybody know an reference implementation of an xforms
browser?

regards
Lars

Slightly beyond my experience (I also use 'conventional' approach), but I
see
it as;

1. The XMLForm generator creates a XML document of the POST request.
2. You can aggregate that with other XML documents, static or dynamic.
3. Feed that to the transformer(s).
4. Output

Meaning, the main advantage would be that you can do a fair amount of logic
on
the posted request in XSL (XSL is Turing complete, right?), without writing
any Java/XSP code. For some people (those who know XSL better than Java)
that
is more power with less hazzle.

Niclas