I don't know why the simple.xsp was done the way it was but I believe you should also be able to write it this way:

<xsp:logic>
for (int i=0; i &lt; 3; i++) {
<li>Item <xsp:expr>i</xsp:expr></li>
}
</xsp:logic>

I think wrapping it in CDATA sections is just to make it possible to use the < in the for statement

I-Lin Kuo wrote:

In the sample xsp provided with cocoon, on the page

docs/samples/xsp/simple.xsp

There's a section of code that looks like this:

<xsp:logic>
<![CDATA[
for (int i=0; i<3; i++) {]]><![CDATA[
]]>
<li>
Item <xsp:expr>i</xsp:expr>
</li>
<![CDATA[
} ]]><![CDATA[
]]>
</xsp:logic>

I understand that the CDATA sections are needed to escape the "<" in the for loop declaration, but it seems to me that only one such is needed. To test this, I made up another page with the following:

<ul>
<xsp:logic>
<![CDATA[
for (int j=0;j<3;j++) ]]>{
<li>Item <xsp:expr>j</xsp:expr></li>
}
</xsp:logic>
</ul>

This worked, and confirmed my suspicions. So my question is, why were there so many CDATA sections in the original, and when am I supposed to use them?

Also, I'd appreciate it if someone could explain what xsp:content is supposed to do, or refer me to some place in the documentation where all the tags are listed (I couldn't find any).