Richard,

I have spent some time pouring over the code of the command line interface. The
parameters that Tomcat gets from web.xml need to be provided to the command
line interface as command line parameters. However, I do not recall an option to
force-load classes, which would be required for JDBC drivers.

It shouldn't be too hard to do - just copy some code over from the CocoonServlet
to the Main.java. I'll see if I can come up with a patch this weekend.

As I've not been able to get JDBC to work very well myself, I may not be able to
test it very well, though.

As a short term solution, you can specify the dburl, driver, user and password
using   <esql:driver>, <esql:dburl>,  <esql:username> and <esql:password> within
your <esql:connection>. This will avoid the reference in web.xml. It looses your
connection pooling, but it should work.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Upayavira