It certainly could be an option... and a very simple to implement at that :)

You could, for instance, submit a patch to cocoon-dev and see whether they agree or
not.
BTW, the default option should be "lowercase", to avoid breaking existing code.

Regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              [EMAIL PROTECTED]