I haven't seen/used any standardised page layout
formats.  I'm using Cocoon's portal framework and I
like/use their idea of spliting the page into
independent coplets (sometimes known as portlets).  I
know it's not much, but it's a good start and I'm
actually enjoying some nice benefits.  What I've also
done was to make heavy use of CSS2, so that the look
and positioning of each coplet can be controlled
externally.

-Alex