> > check through the logs in WEB-INF/logs and the tomcat logs as well for
> > errors reported in instantiating the connection at startup.

If it's not already, you may want to set error level to info or debug -
you may see more information.

> The cocoon error log just contains the same error message that's
> displayed in the browser. Tomcat is not having a problem with the
> database as other webapps are currently using it with no difficulty.

But cocoon could be causing tomcat to log there during its startup.
Unless you're trying to use a tomcat-managed database pool --
that would be a different set of things to look at.

> > - the driver not being declared in web.xml
>
> It is.

Can you paste your snippet?

> > - using cocoon built with jdk1.2/1.3 with jdk1.4 or vice versa
>
> This is a possibility. I'm pretty sure I downloaded the right one, but
> I could be wrong--at least it's something I can double-check.

Yes, check.  Which jdk are you using?  I guess this also means that
you're using 2.0.x, since 2.1 doesn't have a binary options (precisely
because of problems like this among other reasons)

> Is there any trick to un-installing cocoon? I tried removing all its
> folders from Tomcat, but when I put the new cocoon.war file in there it
> didn't do anything. :-/

You may need to delete the cocoon stuff out of tomcat's work directory.

Geoff