I'm a novice cocoon user and currently changing an existing site running on
cocoon 2.01 from cookie-based session management to manual URL encoding. This
cocoon version doesn't yet support encodeURLTransformer and I can't upgrade
to a newer version.

The example found at 'cocoon\documentation\xdocs\userdocs\xsp\sessions.xml'
I already successfully tested at a test logicsheet.

At my stylesheet I use the following fragment:

<a>
     <xsp:attribute name="href">
        <xsp:expr>
          response.encodeURL(String.valueOf(<xsl:copy-of select="$href"/>))
        </xsp:expr>
      </xsp:attribute>
      <xsl:copy-of select="$href"/>
</>

However the XSL statement appears to return no value although it works
outside <xsp:expr>.

The errorpage shows the following hints:

The org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap notifies that
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException says:
Exception during processing of
http://localhost:8080/demo/XSPXSLWebSimpleMain.htm
More precisely:
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception during processing of
http://localhost:8080/demo/XSPXSLWebSimpleMain.htm:
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception during processing of
http://localhost:8080/demo/XSPXSLSimpleTable.htm:
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Language Exception:
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException: Error compiling
Table_htm_xsp_xsl:
Line 804, column 73: No method matching valueOf() found in class
java.lang.String.
at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.CIncludeTransformer.processCIncludeElement(CIncludeTransformer.java:136)
at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.CIncludeTransformer.startElement(CIncludeTransformer.java:83)

As I'm required to use cinclude within my stylesheets my sitemap definitions
look like this:

    <map:pipeline>
                  <map:match pattern="XSPXSL*" >
                          <map:generate type="serverpages"
src="{1}.xsp.xsl"/>
                          <map:transform type="cinclude"/>
                          <map:serialize type="xml"/>
                  </map:match>

                  <map:match pattern="SP*" >
                          <map:generate type="serverpages" src="{1}.xsp"/>
                          <map:transform type="cinclude"/>
                          <map:serialize type="xml"/>
                  </map:match>
  </map:pipeline>

   <map:pipeline>
                  <map:match pattern="*.htm" >
                                <map:generate  src="context://dummy.xml"/>
                                <map:transform src="cocoon://SP{1}"/>
                                <map:transform
src="cocoon://XSPXSL{1}.htm"/>
                                <map:serialize type="html"/>
                  </map:match>

                  <map:handle-errors>
                    <map:transform src="context://error2html.xsl"/>
                    <map:serialize status-code="500"/>
                  </map:handle-errors>
   </map:pipeline>

Thanks for your help!