On Nov 15, 2016, at 1:34 PM, Karen Coyle <li...@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> As for "safe from surveillance" etc., libraries are not miracle workers.
> Everything we do is in the real world. Given that the NSA captures every byte
> conveyed from point A to point B, how *could* libraries do anything about
> that?

For starters, make sure that your website (and anything else you’re putting
online) is served over a secure connection (https://, rather than just
http://).  Yes, encrypted traffic can be captured and encryption be broken, but
it’s about making that too expensive to be done routinely, rather than making
it impossible.

Using a secure connection is about to become more important for very pragmatic
reasons, as starting this January, Google’s Chrome (currently the most popular
browser, by a wide margin) is going to begin explicitly warning users about
non-HTTPS sites
<https://security.googleblog.com/2016/09/moving-towards-more-secure-web.html>.

Ed

--
Edward Almasy <ealm...@scout.wisc.edu>
Director  •  Internet Scout Research Group