Library system vendors are addressing some of these issues with Reading List
solutions (see Higher Education Library Technology
http://helibtech.com/Reading_Resource+lists ). These are a sort of course
catalogue with links to resources (beyond conventional 'library resources) that
are specifc to a course module or even a week of a particular course. The may
be characterised by faculty as 'essential' or 'recommended' etc. They are very
popular in Australia, New Zealand and UK and are highly valued...They are now
starting to be adopted in the US.

The broader context for this development and others including learning
analytics is covered in a recent HELibTech briefing paper: "The new role of the
library in teaching and learning outcomes" (Published 20 June 2017) and
available at http://helibtech.com/Briefing+Papers

>From that paper:
The online reading list can be seen as a sort of course catalogue that gives
the user a (sometimes week-by-week) course/module "view on core resources and
provides a link to print holdings information or the electronic full text. It
differs significantly from the integrated library system (ILS) ‘course reserve’
module, notably by providing access to materials beyond the items in the
library catalogue".

"Indeed some librarians claim that the reading list system is a key library
tool for transforming student learning.  By “investing our efforts into
developing a genuinely effective, interactive and responsive reading list
system” librarians at the University of Birmingham are aiming to “transform the
teaching and learning experience for students and academics”

Ken

Ken Chad Consulting Ltd http://www.kenchadconsulting.com Tel: +44(0)7788727845
Twitter: @kenchad | Skype: kenchadconsulting |Linkedin:
www.linkedin.com/in/kenchad