From: Code for Libraries [mailto:CODE4LIB@LISTS.CLIR.ORG] On Behalf Of Eric
Lease Morgan
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:57 PM
To: CODE4LIB@LISTS.CLIR.ORG
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] reading-level info in library catalogs

I’ve been advocating such an enhancement to the bibliographic record for a long
time.

Reading levels can be computing with any number of algorithms, but they require
full text access to the materials. These algorithms take into account things
such as length of text, length of sentences, length of paragraphs, size of
vocabulary, and frequency of unique words. Thus, longer items with larger
vocabularies and more unique words are deemed more difficult to read. If we —
the library profession — were to include in the bibliographic record reading
levels as well as size of text based on number of words (not number of pages),
then the reader could search do queries such as, “Find me a short book about
Plato that is easy to read.”

One one really wanted to, then a librarian could:

  1. identify an item in the catalog
  2. identify a digital version of the item
  3. compute one or more reading levels against the digital item
  4. save the result(s) in the bibliographic record
  5. index the result
  6. go to Step #1 until done (or tired)

—
Eric Morgan