> If you work for an employer under a contract in which all intellectual
> property created during employment belongs to your employer [...]

This also holds true when the employer is a university -- in fact, it's
generally the case whether you've explicitly signed a contract to that
effect or not.  If a software developer works for a university and the
application in question is in any way related to their job and/or they
used any university resources, then it's quite likely that the
university owns the copyright.  You must petition the appropriate
intellectual property gatekeeper in order to release the software as
open source; if permission is given, the university will probably
specify the software license.

For those who work in academia, there will be some type of intellectual
property handbook that specifies faculty, staff, and student
responsibilities and procedures for disclosing intellectual property.
I've gone through the intellectual property disclosure process twice
here at my university in order to release locally developed applications
as open source.  I discussed this IP disclosure process, as well as
other factors to consider in releasing open source software in a LITA
2005 paper [1].

-- Michael

[1] "The New Books List: An Open Source Software Case Study"
    2005 LITA National Forum
http://www.lita.org/ala/lita/litaevents/litanationalforum2005sanjoseca/0
5forumsched.htm

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian