Erik Hatcher wrote:

"What if" games are mostly just guessing games in the high tech
world.  Agility is the trait our projects need.  Software is just
that... soft.  And malleable.  Sure, we can code ourselves into a
corner, but generally we can code ourselves right back out of it
too.  If software is built with decent separation of concerns, we can
adapt to changes readily.

I completely agree, but you can't deny it's a valid concern.  I am
always thinking about the future and making sure my software is modular
and flexible so any part can easily be replaced.  So I would hope it's
as easy as just writing a new "driver" for a new system that you want to
replace with.

Anyway, you have all convinced me to give solr a whirl ... im
downloading it right now.

Andrew