OCLC Openly Informatics has just released some free, open-source
software that we developed to help libraries deal with one aspect of
the eResource fulfillment problem- How does a library easily and
quickly determine which journals and other electronic resource have
"disappeared" because of subscription snafus. It's a free add-on for
the Firefox web browser that acts as an advanced link-checker.

It's a spin-off of the link-checking technology that we have been
developing as part of the machinery we use to maintain the linking
knowledgebases we produce for 1Cate, Worldcat and offerings from
other companies. In addition to basic link checking, Link Evaluator
can check for the presence of "green-flag" and "red-flag" phrases in
linked-to resources. By working inside the Firefox browser,
LinkEvaluator can exactly duplicate a user's experience and detect
authentication problems. The green- and red- flag phrases can be
supplied by editing preferences, or by inserting them into an html
page of links to evaluate. LinkEvaluator is also multi-threaded, so
it works up to 4 times faster than other link checking plugins.

The developer behind this work is Filip Babalievsky; you can contact
either of us with questions or kudos;  there's also email list that
we've set up.

For more information and downloads, please see
http://openly.oclc.org/linkevaluator/  and
http://openly.oclc.org/pr/15012007.html

Eric
--

Eric Hellman, Director                            OCLC Openly
Informatics Division