On 5/8/07, Adam Brin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Godmar,
        Just FYI, David's script doesn't work with all III catalogs.
Z39.50 might be a slightly better option (our's, for example, seems to
produce errors from his test page). I'd be willing to work with you on it,
if you're up for trying to figure out why it doesn't work in our case.

Let's take the specific issues with your catalog off-list, but let me
make one general point on list: I don't mean to prescribe or even
propose a particular implementation (screenscraping, Z39.50,
proprietary XML interface, etc.) - there could be multiple
implementations, chosen by whoever wishes to export their legacy
services. All that should be agreed upon is a set of query syntaxes
and a set of response formats. Ideally, the cardinality of both sets
should be small.

As such, a Z39.50 to XML gateway is certainly an option if the
produced XML is within the set of useful response formats. I tried
using PHP/yaz for this purpose a couple of years ago - this worked
so-so - it wasn't particularly fast. It is potentially harder to
deploy since not everybody will be able to install libyaz.so on their
servers, but for those that could it's certainly an option. I should
point out, however, that the XML produced was not the nice MARC-XML
that David's script produces, so it would require another conversion
step.

- Godmar