On May 9, 2007, at 11:56 AM, William Denton wrote:

On 8 May 2007, Eric Hellman wrote:

xISBN is free for non-commercial, low volume use.

A library would pay $3,000 USD a year to be able to do 10,000
queries a
day.  That's a lot of queries, but I could imagine a big academic
library
doing a bunch if they pushed out web tools to their students to
make it
easy to check if any edition of a given book (seen at Amazon or in
a blog,
etc.) is available in its collection.  1,000 queries a day (which
used to
be free) is now $500 USD per year.  It's 20% off for OCLC members.

Y'know, we could just all chip in for the data file and provide free
access through a web service.

Heh. Someday, I'm gonna get sued.

Also... did I somehow miss the legislation in which factual
information (like, everything contained within xISBN) became
copyrightable?

-Nate