This gets religious quickly, but, in my experience, programmers who
learn on a framework miss out on their understanding of database
necessities. They may not matter much when you have a low-traffic,
low-content situation, but as your traffic and data grow you're going
to want an understanding of how MySQL optimizes queries, what's
expensive and what's not, and so forth. Although anyone can learn
anything, experience is the best teacher, and, in my experience,
frameworks encourage you to avoid that experience.

For example, the Ruby programmers I've worked with have been unaware
that MySQL only uses one index per table per select, causing them to
index far more than they need, how joins work across different MySQL
data types, the advantages of ganging your inserts together, etc. This
stuff adds up fast.

Of course, the same arguments could be leveled against PHP in favor of
C, against C in favor of assembly, etc.. Abstraction always has merits
and demerits.

Tim

--
Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding