Wow really interesting question and one that makes sense given the
move towards developing a code4lib brand.

my opinion on the Talis offer: +1 on the basis of free_swag++

It raises the question though: Does code4lib want to develop a brand
and determine who and who can't have permission to use it?  We need a
committee to deal with that don't we?  ;-)

My opinion on the larger question would be no real brand in the sense
of trademarking anything... let anyone who wants to use "code4lib" use
it in any way they want (even to disparage the group or create false
associations (Hitler/Code4Lib 2012)).  People who want to get a piece
of swag with the cobranding will and those who don't won't.  I'm still
of the mind that there really isn't a code4lib entity that needs to
hire a PR firm to do reputation management.

Kevin (self-proclaimed king of code4lib navel gazing)

--
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who believe there
are two kinds of people and those who know better.